Generic Name and Formulations:
Defibrotide sodium 200mg/2.5mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for DEFITELIO:
Treatment of hepatic veno-occlusive disease (VOD), also known as sinusoidal obstruction syndrome (SOS), with renal or pulmonary dysfunction following hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation.
Adults and Children:
Confirm patient is hemodynamically stable on ≤1 vasopressor. Give by IV infusion over 2hrs. 6.25mg/kg every 6hrs for at least 21 days; if VOD unresolved after 21 days, continue until resolution or up to max 60 days. Treatment modification: see full labeling.
Concomitant systemic anticoagulant or fibrinolytic therapy.
Increased risk of bleeding; monitor. Active bleeding: do not initiate. Discontinue permanently if severe or life-threatening hypersensitivity reaction or recurrent significant bleeding occurs. Withhold if persistent, severe or potentially life-threatening bleeding occurs; consider resuming when bleeding has stopped. Discontinue ≥2hrs prior to an invasive procedure; resume as soon as any procedure-related bleeding risk has resolved. Pregnancy: potential risk of miscarriage. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Discontinue concomitant anticoagulants and fibrinolytics before initiating Defitelio.
Hypotension, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, epistaxis; hemorrhage, hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders