Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine; aluminum phosphate adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains 2-phenoxyethanol, formaldehyde (trace), glutaraldehyde (trace).
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for DAPTACEL:
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis immunization in children 6 weeks through 6 years of age (before 7th birthday).
Each dose is 0.5mL IM in anterolateral thigh or deltoid. 5-dose series: Give 1st dose preferably at 2 months of age (may give as early as 6 weeks of age); then give 2nd dose 6–8 weeks later, then give 3rd dose 6–8 weeks later; give 4th dose at 15–20 months of age; give 5th dose at 4–6 years of age. May be used to complete primary series in children who received ≥1 whole-cell DTP doses: see full labeling.
Anaphylaxis associated with any previous dose. Encephalopathy within 7 days after a previous pertussis-containing vaccine. Progressive neurologic disorders (eg, infantile spasms, uncontrolled epilepsy, progressive encephalopathy).
Fever (≥105°F within 48 hours), persistent inconsolable crying (≥3 hours within 48 hours), shock (within 48 hours), seizures (within 3 days), Guillain-Barre Syndrome (within 6 weeks) of previous tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Seizure risk (may give antipyretic). Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Immunocompromised. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Fussiness/irritability, inconsolable crying, lethargy, fever, inj site reactions.
Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—1, 5, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders