Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; caps.
Indications for DANTRIUM:
Chronic spasticity due to upper motor neuron disorders (eg, spinal cord injury, stroke, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis).
Use lowest effective dose. 25mg once daily for 7 days, then 25mg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 50mg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 100mg 3 times daily; max 100mg 4 times daily.
<5yrs: not established. ≥5yrs: Use lowest effective dose. 0.5mg/kg once daily for 7 days, then 0.5mg/kg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 1mg/kg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 2mg/kg 3 times daily; max 100mg 4 times daily.
Active hepatic disease. Spasticity utilization to sustain upright posture/balance in locomotion or to obtain increased function.
Risk of hepatotoxicity (esp. females or patients >35 years, or concomitant other drugs); monitor liver function at baseline and during therapy; discontinue if hepatitis or liver abnormalities develop. History of liver disease. Pulmonary dysfunction. Severely impaired cardiac function. Discontinue if no improvement after 45 days of treatment. Avoid exposure to sunlight. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Estrogens may increase risk of hepatotoxicity. Potentiates CNS depressants (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers). Avoid concurrent verapamil (cardiovascular collapse). May potentiate vecuronium.
Muscle relaxant (local).
Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, urinary changes, tachycardia, seizures, depression; hepatotoxicity, hepatitis, photosensitivity, pleural effusion with associated eosinophilia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders