Generic Name and Formulations:
Cytarabine 100mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV, intrathecal, SC inj after reconstitution.
Indications for Cytarabine:
Remission induction in acute non-lymphocytic leukemia of adults and children. Acute lymphocytic leukemia. Chronic myelocytic leukemia (blast phase). Prophylaxis and treatment of meningeal leukemia (intrathecal route).
Adults and Children:
Induction therapy of acute non-lymphocytic leukemia: 100mg/m2 per day by continuous IV infusion (days 1–7) or 100mg/m2 IV every 12 hours (days 1–7). Acute lymphocytic leukemia and chronic myelocytic leukemia: see literature. Meningeal leukemia: Usual range: 5–75mg/m2 intrathecally; may give once daily for 4 days to once every 4 days; most frequently used dose: 30mg/m2 every 4 days until cerebrospinal fluid findings are normal.
Do not use diluent with benzyl alcohol for intrathecal administration. Pre-existing myelosuppression. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood counts, renal, hepatic function. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers.
May antagonize gentamicin, fluorocytosine.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), GI upset, anorexia, abdominal pain, oral ulceration, rash, fever, hepatic dysfunction, infection, bleeding; cytarabine syndrome, hyperuricemia, pancreatitis, paralysis (rare), others.
Vials (100mg, 200mg)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders