Generic Name and Formulations:
Cytarabine 100mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV, intrathecal, SC inj after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cytarabine:
Remission induction in acute non-lymphocytic leukemia of adults and children. Acute lymphocytic leukemia. Chronic myelocytic leukemia (blast phase). Prophylaxis and treatment of meningeal leukemia (intrathecal route).
Adults and Children:
Induction therapy of acute non-lymphocytic leukemia: 100mg/m2 per day by continuous IV infusion (days 1–7) or 100mg/m2 IV every 12 hours (days 1–7). Acute lymphocytic leukemia and chronic myelocytic leukemia: see literature. Meningeal leukemia: Usual range: 5–75mg/m2 intrathecally; may give once daily for 4 days to once every 4 days; most frequently used dose: 30mg/m2 every 4 days until cerebrospinal fluid findings are normal.
Do not use diluent with benzyl alcohol for intrathecal administration. Pre-existing myelosuppression. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood counts, renal, hepatic function. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers.
May antagonize gentamicin, fluorocytosine.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), GI upset, anorexia, abdominal pain, oral ulceration, rash, fever, hepatic dysfunction, infection, bleeding; cytarabine syndrome, hyperuricemia, pancreatitis, paralysis (rare), others.
Vials (100mg, 200mg)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age