Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaine anhydrous 1g; per scoopful; pwd for dilution and oral administration.
Rare Disease Therapeutics, Inc.
Indications for CYSTADANE:
For the treatment of homocystinuria (eg, cystathionine beta-synthase [CBS] deficiency, 5, 10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase [MTHFR] deficiency, cobalamin cofactor metabolism [cbl] defect) to decrease elevated homocysteine blood levels.
Adults and Children:
Dissolve one scoop (1g betaine anhydrous pwd) in 4–6 ounces of water, juice, milk, formula, or mixed with food for immediate ingestion. <3yrs: initially 100mg/kg/day divided in twice daily doses, may increase weekly by 50mg/kg increments. ≥3yrs: 3g twice daily. Increase gradually until plasma total homocysteine is undetectable or present only in small amounts. Up to 20g/day has been used.
Hypermethioninemia. Monitor plasma methionine concentrations in patients with CBS deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
GI upset; hypermethioninemia, cerebral edema.
Bottle—180g (w. measuring scoop)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Impairment May Predict Persistent Psychosis in Ketamine Users
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders