Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaine anhydrous 1g; per scoopful; pwd for dilution and oral administration.
Rare Disease Therapeutics, Inc.
Indications for CYSTADANE:
For the treatment of homocystinuria (eg, cystathionine beta-synthase [CBS] deficiency, 5, 10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase [MTHFR] deficiency, cobalamin cofactor metabolism [cbl] defect) to decrease elevated homocysteine blood levels.
Adults and Children:
Dissolve one scoop (1g betaine anhydrous pwd) in 4–6 ounces of water, juice, milk, formula, or mixed with food for immediate ingestion. <3yrs: initially 100mg/kg/day divided in twice daily doses, may increase weekly by 50mg/kg increments. ≥3yrs: 3g twice daily. Increase gradually until plasma total homocysteine is undetectable or present only in small amounts. Up to 20g/day has been used.
Hypermethioninemia. Monitor plasma methionine concentrations in patients with CBS deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
GI upset; hypermethioninemia, cerebral edema.
Bottle—180g (w. measuring scoop)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder