Cyanocobalamin injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg/mL; soln for IM or SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cyanocobalamin injection:
Vit. B12 deficiencies due to malabsorption. Pernicious anemia. Vit. B12 absorption test (Schilling test).
Give by IM or deep SC inj. Pernicious anemia: 100mcg daily for 6–7 days; then 100mcg every other day for 7 doses; then every 3–4 days for 2–3 weeks; then 100mcg monthly for life. Deficiencies due to malabsorption: if severe, may need to treat like pernicious anemia; use oral preparations for chronic treatment. Schilling test: 1000mcg.
Sensitivity to cobalt.
Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease). Severe megaloblastic anemia (intense treatment may lead to hypokalemia and death). Monitor potassium for first 48 hours; replace if needed. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, and iron levels before and during treatment. Reevaluate periodically. Premature infants. Renal impairment (possible aluminum toxicity). Folic acid use may mask B12 deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat. C).
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine interfere with Vit. B12 diagnostic tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, heavy alcohol intake for >2 weeks may produce malabsorption of Vit. B12.
Pulmonary edema, CHF, vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema; anaphylactic shock (may be fatal; do test dose if hypersensitivity suspected).
Formerly known under the brand names Berubigen, Cobavite, Rubivite, Rubramin PC, Vi-twel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children