Cyanocobalamin injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg/mL; soln for IM or SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cyanocobalamin injection:
Vit. B12 deficiencies due to malabsorption. Pernicious anemia. Vit. B12 absorption test (Schilling test).
Give by IM or deep SC inj. Pernicious anemia: 100mcg daily for 6–7 days; then 100mcg every other day for 7 doses; then every 3–4 days for 2–3 weeks; then 100mcg monthly for life. Deficiencies due to malabsorption: if severe, may need to treat like pernicious anemia; use oral preparations for chronic treatment. Schilling test: 1000mcg.
Sensitivity to cobalt.
Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease). Severe megaloblastic anemia (intense treatment may lead to hypokalemia and death). Monitor potassium for first 48 hours; replace if needed. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, and iron levels before and during treatment. Reevaluate periodically. Premature infants. Renal impairment (possible aluminum toxicity). Folic acid use may mask B12 deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat. C).
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine interfere with Vit. B12 diagnostic tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, heavy alcohol intake for >2 weeks may produce malabsorption of Vit. B12.
Pulmonary edema, CHF, vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema; anaphylactic shock (may be fatal; do test dose if hypersensitivity suspected).
Formerly known under the brand names Berubigen, Cobavite, Rubivite, Rubramin PC, Vi-twel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders