Generic Name and Formulations:
Lipase/protease/amylase: 3000Units/9500Units/15000Units; 6000Units/19000Units/30000Units; 12000Units/38000Units/60000Units; 24000Units/76000Units/120000Units; 36000Units/114000Units/180000Units; del-rel caps containing e-c spheres.
Indications for CREON:
Treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis, chronic pancreatitis, pancreatectomy, or other conditions.
Adults and Children:
See literature. Start at the lowest recommended dose and increase gradually. Individualize based on clinical symptoms, the degree of steatorrhea present, and the fat content of the diet. Infants: May sprinkle directly into mouth or into a small amount of applesauce; do not mix directly into formula or breastmilk. ≤12months: 3000 lipase units per 120mL of formula or per breastfeeding. Children and adults: Do not crush or chew caps; swallow whole, or may open and sprinkle contents into small amount of acidic food (pH≤4) and swallow mixture immediately. >12months–<4yrs: 1000 lipase units/kg per meal; ≥4yrs: 500 lipase units/kg per meal. Max (for children and adults): 2500 lipase units/kg per meal (or ≤10000 lipase units/kg per day), or <4000 lipase units/g fat ingested per day. Adults with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to chronic pancreatitis or pancreatectomy: individualize; in one study, patients received 72,000 lipase units per meal while consuming 100g of fat per day; lower starting doses are consistent with the 500 lipase units/kg per meal lowest starting dose recommended for adults in the guidelines.
Not interchangeable with any other pancrelipase products. Pork allergy. Potential viral transmission. Gout. Renal impairment. Hyperuricemia. Contents irritating to mucosa. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pancreatic enzymes (porcine).
Abdominal pain, abnormal feces, cough, dizziness, flatulence, headache, weight decreased; hyperuricemia, fibrosing colonopathy (with high doses), allergic reactions.
Caps 3000—70; 6000, 12000, 24000, 36000—100, 250
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress