Generic Name and Formulations:
Dorzolamide HCl 2%, timolol maleate 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for COSOPT:
Open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension where β-blocker alone is inadequate.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not recommended. 1 drop twice daily.
Asthma or history of asthma. Severe COPD. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock.
Mild-to-moderate COPD or bronchospastic disease, or severe renal impairment: not recommended. Hepatic impairment. Surgery. May mask hypoglycemia or thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Discontinue if ocular effects occur. Soft contact lenses (remove, may reinsert 15 minutes after instillation). Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (sulfonamide) + noncardioselective beta-blocker.
Concomitant oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitors or other topical β-blockers: not recommended. May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemic agents, and mydriatic effects of topical epinephrine. May be potentiated by quinidine. May inhibit renal excretion of basic drugs and promote excretion of acidic drugs. May increase salicylate toxicity (acidosis). Possible conduction defects, left ventricular failure, or hypotension with calcium channel blockers, digoxin. May block epinephrine.
Taste perversion; ocular burning, stinging, or itching; conjunctival hyperemia, blurred vision, superficial punctate keratitis; possible systemic effects.
Cosopt—10mL; Cosopt PF—60 (single-use 0.2mL containers)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children