CORTISPORIN OINTMENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocortisone 1%, polymyxin B (as sulfate) 5000 Units/g, neomycin (as sulfate) 0.35%, bacitracin (as zinc) 400 Units/g.
Indications for CORTISPORIN OINTMENT:
Short-term use in corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses with secondary infection.
Apply sparingly and massage in 2–4 times daily.
Do not use in eyes, external ear canal if eardrum perforated. Tuberculous, fungal, or viral lesions.
Intertrigo, diaper or stasis dermatitis or ulceration, extensive burns (neomycin may be absorbed). Avoid prolonged use or on large areas. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor for HPA axis suppression; avoid abrupt cessation if used for chronic conditions. Discontinue if infection persists or worsens or if superinfection occurs. Occlusion: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Steroid + antibiotics.
Local irritation, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, dermatitis, sensitization, ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity (if neomycin is significantly absorbed), HPA axis suppression (esp. in children), epidermal and dermal atrophy (esp. in thin-skinned or occluded areas).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders