Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocortisone acetate 10%; aerosol foam.
Indications for CORTIFOAM:
Adjunct in ulcerative proctitis in patients who cannot retain steroid enemas.
1 applicatorful rectally (80mg hydrocortisone) 1–2 times daily for 2–3 weeks. Then every other day. Discontinue if no improvement within 2–3 weeks.
Rectal obstruction. Abscess. Perforation. Peritonitis. Fresh intestinal anastomoses. Extensive fistulas and sinus tracts. Tuberculosis. Ocular herpes simplex. Psychosis. Peptic ulcer. Glomerulonephritis. Myasthenia gravis. Osteoporosis. Diverticulitis. Thrombophlebitis. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Acute coronary disease. Hypertension. Limited cardiac reserve. Infections.
Postileorectostomy: not recommended. Exposure to varicella or vaccinia. Severe ulcerative disease. CHF. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor adrenal function and serum electrolytes. Avoid abrupt cessation. Vaccinations. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May antagonize insulin or oral hypoglycemics, anticoagulants, aspirin. Hypokalemia with amphotericin B or diuretics. May be potentiated by macrolides, cyclosporine.
Hypertension, fluid retention, hypokalemia, adrenal suppression, cataracts, glaucoma, psychosis, dysmenorrhea, myopathy, neuropathy, thrombophlebitis, peptic ulcer, impaired wound healing, convulsions, local irritation (folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acne, hypopigmentation, macerations, dermal and epidermal atrophy, secondary infections, striae, miliaria).
Aerosol—15g (w. applicator)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age