Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocortisone acetate 10%; aerosol foam.
Indications for CORTIFOAM:
Adjunct in ulcerative proctitis in patients who cannot retain steroid enemas.
1 applicatorful rectally (80mg hydrocortisone) 1–2 times daily for 2–3 weeks. Then every other day. Discontinue if no improvement within 2–3 weeks.
Rectal obstruction. Abscess. Perforation. Peritonitis. Fresh intestinal anastomoses. Extensive fistulas and sinus tracts. Tuberculosis. Ocular herpes simplex. Psychosis. Peptic ulcer. Glomerulonephritis. Myasthenia gravis. Osteoporosis. Diverticulitis. Thrombophlebitis. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Acute coronary disease. Hypertension. Limited cardiac reserve. Infections.
Postileorectostomy: not recommended. Exposure to varicella or vaccinia. Severe ulcerative disease. CHF. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor adrenal function and serum electrolytes. Avoid abrupt cessation. Vaccinations. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May antagonize insulin or oral hypoglycemics, anticoagulants, aspirin. Hypokalemia with amphotericin B or diuretics. May be potentiated by macrolides, cyclosporine.
Hypertension, fluid retention, hypokalemia, adrenal suppression, cataracts, glaucoma, psychosis, dysmenorrhea, myopathy, neuropathy, thrombophlebitis, peptic ulcer, impaired wound healing, convulsions, local irritation (folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acne, hypopigmentation, macerations, dermal and epidermal atrophy, secondary infections, striae, miliaria).
Aerosol—15g (w. applicator)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?