Generic Name and Formulations:
Brimonidine tartrate 0.2%, timolol (as maleate) 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for COMBIGAN:
To reduce elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) in glaucoma or ocular hypertension where adjunctive or replacement therapy is warranted.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: contraindicated. ≥2yrs: 1 drop every 12 hours.
Bronchial asthma or history of. Severe COPD. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. Neonates and infants <2yrs of age.
Potential for severe respiratory or cardiac reactions. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure and before surgery. Mild to moderate COPD, bronchospastic disease: not recommended. Depression. Cerebral or coronary insufficiency. Raynaud's phenomenon. Orthostatic hypotension. Thromboangiitis obliterans. Myasthenia gravis. Renal or hepatic impairment. May mask hypoglycemia, thyrotoxicosis. Soft contact lenses (remove; may reinsert 15 minutes after instillation). Separate dosing of other oph drugs by ≥5 minutes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid other topical β-blockers. May potentiate, or be potentiated by, other CNS depressants, systemic β-blockers, reserpine, quinidine, SSRIs, other CYP2D6 inhibitors. Caution with antihypertensives, systemic β-blockers, MAOIs, tricyclics. May cause conduction defects (eg, prolonged AV conduction) with digoxin, calcium channel blockers (avoid concomitant use in impaired cardiac function). May block systemic epinephrine.
Alpha-2 agonist + noncardioselective beta-blocker.
Allergic conjunctivitis, conjunctival folliculosis, conjunctival hyperemia, pruritus, ocular burning/stinging, asthenia, corneal erosion, depression, epiphora, visual disturbance, headache, hypertension, dry mouth, somnolence, blepharitis, ocular hypersensitivity.
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition