Generic Name and Formulations:
Colestipol HCl 5g/pkt or scoop; granules; orange flavored (contains aspartame, phenylalanine) or unflavored.
Indications for COLESTID:
Adjunct to diet to lower elevated serum total-C and LDL-C in primary hypercholesterolemia.
5g–30g daily once or in divided doses mixed with liquid.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. Consider reducing dose, discontinuing, or alternative therapy if significant increase in triglycerides occur. May need Vit. A, D and K supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Constipation; increase fluid/fiber intake or add a stool softener. Hemorrhoids. Phenylketonurics (flavored Colestid). Monitor thyroid function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Reduces absorption of folic acid, fat soluble vitamins, thiazides, furosemide, tetracycline, penicillin G, gemfibrozil, mycophenolic acid, others; monitor digitalis, propranolol; give other drugs at least 1hr before or 4hrs after. May affect absorption of oral phosphate supplements, hydrocortisone.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravated hemorrhoids, abdominal pain/cramp, gas, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, Vit. A, D, K deficiencies or hyperchloremic acidosis with prolonged use.
Unflavored 5g pkt—30, 90; Bulk—300g, 500g (w. scoop); Flavored 7.5g pkt—60; Bulk—450g (w. scoop); Tabs—120
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders