COLESTID TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Colestipol HCl (micronized) 1g.
Indications for COLESTID TABLETS:
Adjunct to diet to lower elevated serum total-C and LDL-C in primary hypercholesterolemia.
Do not crush, chew, or cut. Take with adequate fluids. Initially 2g once or twice daily, then increase by 2g once or twice daily at 1–2 month intervals. Usual maintenance: 2–16g/day in 1 or more divided doses.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. Consider reducing dose, discontinuing, or alternative therapy if significant increase in triglycerides occur. May need Vit. A, D and K supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Constipation; increase fluid/fiber intake or add a stool softener. Hemorrhoids. Phenylketonurics (flavored Colestid). Monitor thyroid function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Reduces absorption of folic acid, fat soluble vitamins, thiazides, furosemide, tetracycline, penicillin G, gemfibrozil, mycophenolic acid, others; monitor digitalis, propranolol; give other drugs at least 1hr before or 4hrs after. May affect absorption of oral phosphate supplements, hydrocortisone.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravated hemorrhoids, abdominal pain/cramp, gas, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, Vit. A, D, K deficiencies or hyperchloremic acidosis with prolonged use.
Unflavored 5g pkt—30, 90; Bulk—300g, 500g (w. scoop); Flavored 7.5g pkt—60; Bulk—450g (w. scoop); Tabs—120
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed