Generic Name and Formulations:
Balsalazide disodium (prodrug of mesalamine) 750mg; caps.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for COLAZAL:
Mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into applesauce. 2.25g 3 times daily for 8 weeks; max 12 weeks.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into apple sauce. <5yrs: not recommended. ≥5yrs: 2.25g 3 times daily or 750mg 3 times daily; max 8 weeks.
Pyloric stenosis. Renal dysfunction. History of renal disease. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Headache, GI upset/pain, arthralgia, respiratory infection, insomnia, fatigue, anorexia, exacerbation of symptoms, pyrexia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children