Generic Name and Formulations:
Balsalazide disodium (prodrug of mesalamine) 750mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for COLAZAL:
Mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into applesauce. 2.25g 3 times daily for 8 weeks; max 12 weeks.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into apple sauce. <5yrs: not recommended. ≥5yrs: 2.25g 3 times daily or 750mg 3 times daily; max 8 weeks.
Pyloric stenosis. Renal dysfunction. History of renal disease. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Headache, GI upset/pain, arthralgia, respiratory infection, insomnia, fatigue, anorexia, exacerbation of symptoms, pyrexia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders