Cognitive behavioral therapy and supportive care psychotherapy, both delivered by nurses over the telephone, may offer comparable benefits for the management of chronic back pain.
Both modified cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and pain education (EDU) interventions were associated with improved pain in patients with disadvantaged backgrounds.
CBT is effective in patients with bipolar disorder in decreasing the relapse rate and improving symptoms of depression and mania severity.
Compared with men, women diagnosed with AUD have higher rates of premature death due to alcohol abuse.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
In an email interview with Rheumatology Advisor, Louise Sharpe, PhD, spoke about the practical ramifications of her research for clinicians who treat rheumatoid arthritis.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is an effective method of chronic pain treatment, either alone or in conjunction with other pain therapies.
Recent studies have explored various adaptations to CBT with the aim of improving response rates in treating anxiety.
Understanding how pain catastrophizing works can assist clinicians with providing effective treatments to patients with chronic pain.
For adults, similar efficacy for cognitive behavioral therapy and antidepressants.
Benefits of cognitive behavioral therapy, graded exercise for chronic fatigue can last more than two years.
The researchers note the poor outcomes of online CBT were primarily from low engagement and low adherence to treatment.
By the end of the exposure and response prevention therapy treatment, more than half of the patients with OCD were considered excellent responders.
Light therapy may be better when it comes to acute episodes of SAD, but CBT may be more effective to prevent relapse.
Patients who participated in CBT via the internet had equal or better outcomes compared with those who participated in traditional in-person CBT.
Patients with psychosis and addiction disorders responded moderately better to disorder-specific treatment.
Teens who had one parent with depression who took part in a cognitive-behavioral prevention program were less likely to develop depression.
An examination of how the treatment of anxiety changes from childhood, to adolescence and into adulthood.
Connectivity between certain regions of the brain seen on scans may be able to predictive whether CBT will benefit an individual patient.
There was a significant decline in worry severity and in anxiety symptoms, depression at four-month follow-up in the phone CBT group.
Soldiers were much less likely to attempt suicide after a 12-session outpatient CBT program.
Patients with mental illness who received CBT for insomnia saw symptom improvements in both insomnia and their psychiatric condition.
Pseudobulbar affect, which involves uncontrollable emotional outbursts, has been reported in diseases including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
Patients with more efficient brain network connectivity had worse long-term outcomes after cognitive-behavioral therapy.
PD psychosis is underreported and faces treatment challenges, though a new treatment on the horizon may change that.
Exposure and response prevention is considered the first-line CBT therapy for those with OCD.
CBT for insomnia can effectively treat insomnia in patients with comorbid major depression taking antidepressants.
Adults in the CBT-I group achieved much bigger reductions in depressive and anxiety symptoms than peers using control website.
Targeting dysfunctional beliefs patients hold about thoughts could help treat depression, anxiety, and OCD.
Although depression and anxiety are two of the most common comorbidities in patients with COPD, they are infrequently treated in this population.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?