Generic Name and Formulations:
Clomiphene citrate 50mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Clomiphene:
Induction of ovulation.
50mg daily for 5 days beginning on the 5th day of menstrual cycle; max 3 courses. If ovulation does not occur after 1st course, increase dose to 100mg daily for 2nd course; max 100mg/day for 5 days. See full labeling.
Primary ovarian failure. Ovarian cysts. Uterine leiomyomas. Abnormal uterine bleeding. Thrombophlebitis. Liver disease. Depression. Uncontrolled thyroid or adrenal dysfunction. Intracranial lesions. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Perform initial complete pelvic and endocrinologic exam. If ovarian enlargement occurs, hold dose until ovaries return to pretreatment size, and reduce dosage or duration of next course. Polycystic ovary syndrome. Discontinue if visual disorders occur. Metabolism disorders (eg, hypertriglyceridemia). Preexisting or family history of hyperlipidemia: monitor plasma triglycerides periodically. Nursing mothers.
Ovarian enlargement, vasomotor flushes, abdominal/pelvic discomfort/distention/bloating, nausea, vomiting, breast discomfort, visual symptoms (eg, blurred vision, lights, floaters), headache, abnormal uterine bleeding; multiple births, pancreatitis.
Formerly known under the brand name Serophene.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses