Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulindac 150mg, 200mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Sulindac:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis. Ankylosing spondylitis. Acute painful shoulder. Acute gouty arthritis.
Take with food. 150mg twice daily. Acute painful shoulder or gouty arthritis: 200mg twice daily, usually for 7–14 days. All: max 400mg/day.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Active or history of GI bleeding, peptic ulcer, or kidney stones. Heart failure. Impaired renal or hepatic function. Edema. Hypertension. Bleeding disorders. Sepsis. Diabetes. Preexisting asthma. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor blood, hepatic, renal, and ocular function in chronic use. Discontinue if unexplained fever, pancreatitis, or liver dysfunction occurs. Systemic lupus erythematosus and mixed connective tissue disease. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C); avoid in late pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
NSAID (indene deriv.).
Increased risk of GI toxicity with aspirin, other NSAIDs, alcohol, smoking. Probenecid increases serum levels. Diflunisal reduces serum levels. Antagonized by, and peripheral neuropathy with, DMSO. Monitor anticoagulants, antihyperglycemics. Caution with methotrexate, cyclosporine, nephrotoxic drugs (increased toxicity). Increased serum lithium levels (monitor). May antagonize diuretics, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II antagonists (monitor).
GI ulcer/bleeding/pain, dyspepsia, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), dizziness, headache, tinnitus, edema, nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, pancreatitis, jaundice, hepatitis. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand name Clinoril.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management