Generic Name and Formulations:
Clevidipine butyrate emulsion 0.5mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; contains lipids 0.2g/mL (soybean oil, egg phospholipids).
The Medicines Company
Indications for CLEVIPREX:
To reduce blood pressure when oral therapy is not feasible or desirable.
≥18yrs: Individualize; titrate. Give by IV infusion. Initially 1–2mg/hr; double dose at 90sec intervals until BP approaches goal, then titrate slower (adjust at 5–10min intervals). Dose increases of 1–2mg/hr results in systolic BP lowering of about 2–4mmHg. Maintenance: 4–6mg/hr; usual max 16–32mg/hr. Do not exceed 1000mL (21mg/hr for 24hrs) due to lipid load. Switch to oral therapy when indicated.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Egg or soy allergy. Defective lipid metabolism (eg, pathologic hyperlipemia, lipoid nephrosis, acute pancreatitis with hyperlipidemia). Severe aortic stenosis.
Maintain aseptic technique. Monitor BP and pulse during infusion and until stabilized. Heart failure (monitor). Monitor for rebound hypertension for at least 8hrs after stopping infusion (if not given other antihypertensives after prolonged infusion). Avoid abrupt cessation of any β-blocker treatment. Pheochromocytoma. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Headache, nausea, vomiting; hypotension, reflex tachycardia (slow infusion if occurs, do not use beta-blocker); rare: myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest, syncope, dyspnea.
Single-use vials—50mL, 100mL
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV