Generic Name and Formulations:
Clindamycin (as HCl) 75mg+, 150mg+, 300mg; caps; +contains tartrazine.
Indications for CLEOCIN:
Serious susceptible infections where less toxic antibiotics are inappropriate, including respiratory, skin and soft tissue, septicemia, intraabdominal, female pelvic or genital; bone and joint (inj).
Take with full glass of water. Serious: 150–300mg every 6hrs. More severe: 300–450mg every 6hrs. Beta-hemolytic streptococcal infections: treat for at least 10 days.
Take with full glass of water. Serious: 8–16mg/kg per day. More severe: 16–20mg/kg per day. Divide into 3–4 equal doses. Beta-hemolytic streptococcal infections: treat for at least 10 days.
Not for treatment of meningitis. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Permanently discontinue if severe hypersensitivity reactions occur. Allergy. Asthma (75mg, 150mg caps). GI disease (esp. colitis). Atopy. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use and in children. IV: Gasping syndrome (neonates, infants). Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: consider alternative drug.
May potentiate neuromuscular blocking agents; caution. May be potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors; monitor. May be antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampicin); monitor. May antagonize erythromycin; avoid. Antiperistaltic agents may worsen colitis.
Pseudomembranous colitis, C. difficile-associated diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dysguesia, rash, pruritus, angioedema, anaphylaxis, jaundice, renal dysfunction, blood dyscrasias, polyarthritis, severe skin reactions (eg, toxic epidermal necrolysis, erythema multiforme, drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms, Stevens-Johnson syndrome).
Caps—100; Granules (100mL)—1; Inj (2mL, 4mL, 6mL vials)—25
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress