Varenicline is approved by the FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.
The rate of cigarette smoking and premarital sex is down, however, as is soda consumption and illegal use of prescription drugs.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Aggression in Bipolar I Disorder and Psychosis Associated With Suicide Ideation, Alcohol Abuse
- Moving Associated With Increased Risk for Psychosis in Children, Adolescents
- Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Associated With Reduction in Anxiety Symptoms
- Neuroimaging Markers of Bipolar Disorder Risk for At-Risk Youth
- Suicide Attempt Risk Among LGB Populations Higher Than Previously Estimated