Varenicline is approved by the FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.
The rate of cigarette smoking and premarital sex is down, however, as is soda consumption and illegal use of prescription drugs.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Sleep Disorders: How to Manage Headaches in Patients?
- Anxiety and ADHD in Patients With Single-Ventricle Congenital Heart Disease
- Alcohol Use Disorder Diagnosis Stable From DSM-IV to DSM-5
- Opioid Cravings Reduced by Medication from ER Visits
- Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Patients With HCV Cured of Infection
- Naltrexone-Assisted Detox vs Buprenorphine Taper for Opioid Dependence
- Pediatric Patients Should Undergo Electrocardiogram Assessment Before Antipsychotic Treatment
- Best Practices for Treatment of Bipolar Disorder
- Health Effects and Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis
- Benzodiazepines Increase Stroke Risk in Alzheimer's