Varenicline is approved by the FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.
The rate of cigarette smoking and premarital sex is down, however, as is soda consumption and illegal use of prescription drugs.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Sport Psychiatry: An Emerging Specialty
- Clinical Hypnosis May Be Effective for Cancer Pain, IBS, Headaches
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Continues to Be Vital Treatment for Depression in Elderly
- Prolactin-Related Symptoms Decrease with Reduced Risperidone Dosage
- Psilocybin May Provide Swift Relief From Depression, Anxiety in Cancer Patients
- Physical Activity During Midlife Influences Late Life Verbal Memory Performance
- Children With ADHD May Adapt More Poorly To Changes In Positive Reinforcement Patterns
- "Drunkorexia" Linked To Both Eating and Substance Use Disorders
- Updated Depression Screening Recommendations for Adults
- ADHD Symptoms in Adulthood Vary Based on Work Environment
- SPECT Imaging Offers More Accurate Diagnosis of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Medical Students at High Risk for Depression, Suicidal Ideation
- Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients Demonstrate Higher Risk of Suicide
- Psychoeducation No More Effective Than Peer Support at Reducing Time to Next Bipolar Episode
- No Difference Between Omega-3 & Placebo in Patients at Ultrahigh Risk for Psychosis