Varenicline is approved by the FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.
The rate of cigarette smoking and premarital sex is down, however, as is soda consumption and illegal use of prescription drugs.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Bright Light Therapy for Nonseasonal Depression: An Emerging Intervention
- Marijuana Use Associated With Worse Depression Outcomes
- Suicidal Teenagers' Hospitalization Risk Reduced by Crisis Intervention
- The End of Chemical Restraints: Expert Opinion
- Anxiety, Depression Improved by Mindfulness Meditation