Generic Name and Formulations:
Cholestyramine resin (as Cl) 4g; per 9g packet or scoop.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cholestyramine:
Hypercholesterolemia alone or with hypertriglyceridemia resistant to dietary management. Reduction in risk of coronary heart disease. Pruritus due to partial biliary obstruction.
Initially 1 packet or scoop mixed with fluid or food 1–2 times daily. Maintenance: 2–4 packets or scoops divided into 2 doses; max 6 packets or scoops daily. Increase at 4 week intervals.
See full labeling.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. May need Vit. A, D, K, and folic acid supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (e.g., hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Favorable trend in cholesterol reduction usually occurs within 1 month; continue therapy to sustain reduction. Phenylketonuria (Light formulation). Constipation. Hemorrhoids. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Inhibits absorption of phenylbutazone, warfarin, chlorothiazide, propranolol, tetracycline, penicillin G, phenobarbital, thyroid drugs, digitalis, many others; give other drugs 1–2 hours before or 4–6 hours after. Additive effects with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, nicotinic acid.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravation of hemorrhoids, GI disturbances, osteoporosis, Vit. A, D, K, or folic acid deficiencies, increased bleeding, hyperchloremic acidosis, rash, oral or anal irritation.
Formerly known under the brand name Questran.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children