Cholestyramine Light Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cholestyramine resin (as Cl) 4g; per 5g packet or scoop; contains phenylalanine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cholestyramine Light:
Hypercholesterolemia alone or with hypertriglyceridemia resistant to dietary management. Reduction in risk of coronary heart disease. Pruritus due to partial biliary obstruction.
Initially 1 packet or scoop mixed with fluid or food 1–2 times daily. Maintenance: 2–4 packets or scoops divided into 2 doses; max 6 packets or scoops daily. Increase at 4 week intervals.
See full labeling.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. May need Vit. A, D, K, and folic acid supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (e.g., hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Favorable trend in cholesterol reduction usually occurs within 1 month; continue therapy to sustain reduction. Phenylketonuria (Light formulation). Constipation. Hemorrhoids. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Inhibits absorption of phenylbutazone, warfarin, chlorothiazide, propranolol, tetracycline, penicillin G, phenobarbital, thyroid drugs, digitalis, many others; give other drugs 1–2 hours before or 4–6 hours after. Additive effects with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, nicotinic acid.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravation of hemorrhoids, GI disturbances, osteoporosis, Vit. A, D, K, or folic acid deficiencies, increased bleeding, hyperchloremic acidosis, rash, oral or anal irritation.
Formerly known under the brand name Questran Light.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses