American Psychiatric Association data reveal that between 3% and 7% of U.S. school age children have some form of ADHD. Read more about the disorder and recommended treatments in this slideshow.
Latest in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry
Greater opportunities for risk and challenge were associated with fewer reports of bullying to adults.
Treatment with CBT and amitriptyline led to greater improvements in youth with chronic migraine.
Lack of medical coverage was cited as a reason adolescent and young adult cancer survivors avoid mental health treatment.
A significant gender effect was observed in the cohort, but the mechanism behind it remains unclear.
The decline was seen across all socioeconomic strata.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
The Kupol study provides a unique platform to evaluate the association between different aspects of school and adolescent mental health.
Childhood is a critical developmental period in the brain's response to traumatic stress such as family adversity.
Adolescents who experience chronic pain have higher prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms in adulthood.
Progression of infant motor development is associated with cognitive ability in later childhood.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder