American Psychiatric Association data reveal that between 3% and 7% of U.S. school age children have some form of ADHD. Read more about the disorder and recommended treatments in this slideshow.
Latest in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry
Youth with self-harm should be a prioritized group for assessment and targeted treatment.
Parents' use of digital devices may exacerbate their child's poor behavior.
This research suggests that combination therapy not only produces greater proportional response in depression symptoms but that it is also effective in a broader range of individuals.
Talk and interaction during early childhood, especially during 18 to 24 months, is associated with language and cognitive outcomes.
Paternal Antisocial Personality Traits, Maternal Postpartum Depression Affect Early Aggressive Behavior
These findings indicate the importance of investigating paternal in addition to maternal psychiatric status when evaluating early aggressive behavior in children, especially because the 2 factors can interact in surprising ways.
These findings suggest that child maltreatment affects physical health in adulthood.
Compared with controls, those with subthreshold ADHD experienced greater impairments in social functioning and had higher rates of requiring extra help in school.
These findings indicate that developmental changes are part of the etiology of psychotic disorders, and compensatory cognitive control could be a mechanism to contextualize the psychotic-like experiences precluding psychosis during adolescence.
The current study aims to test the effectiveness of a video-feedback intervention in increasing caregiver sensitivity to foster children.
These findings suggest that adolescent health has gained little donor attention.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- High Risk for Anxiety, Depression, and Stress Observed Among Single Mothers
- Self-Harm, Suicidality Among Adolescents Associated With Poor Outcomes, Recurrent Clinical Care
- Moderate Association Between Sociocognitive Functioning and Thought Disorder in Schizophrenia
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- Schizophrenia Polygenetic Risk Score as a Predictor of Bipolar Disorder With Psychosis