Childhood anxiety symptoms can be reduced by CBT and SSRIs.
A brief screening tool can identify patients at risk for suicide without significantly interrupting the flow of acute care.
Greater opportunities for risk and challenge were associated with fewer reports of bullying to adults.
Treatment with CBT and amitriptyline led to greater improvements in youth with chronic migraine.
Researchers found that students who were teased for years got lower grades.
Altered reward sensitivity may be an indicator of depression in preschool-aged children.
Fear and anxiety showed the strongest correlation with development of major depression in children.
Lack of medical coverage was cited as a reason adolescent and young adult cancer survivors avoid mental health treatment.
A significant gender effect was observed in the cohort, but the mechanism behind it remains unclear.
The decline was seen across all socioeconomic strata.
AAP treatment guidelines from 2011 appear to have contributed to the stabilization.
The report authors propose cyberbullying and social media use as possible theories, but at this point these remain speculative.
Sunovion have announced positive results from a study evaluating Latuda (lurasidone HCI) for the treatment of schizophrenia in adolescents aged 13 to 17 years old.
This finding may have implications for understanding associations between SSRIs and child development.
The mutation-positive cohort was more likely to have issues with disruptive behaviors, anger control, and inappropriate movements compared with the mutation-negative cohort.
Children and adolescents who had used antidepressants or who had a diagnosis of depression were more likely to have a higher BMI.
National Suicide Prevention Week, September 5 - 11, 2016
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Investigators developed a test [The Test of Playfulness (ToP)] in order to examine children's play skills in peer-to-peer play interactions.
So far, the clinical presentation of psychosis in childhood and adolescence has only been examined in a small number of studies which are limited by small sample sizes.
Researchers identified an inner-ear problem that might impair speech processing.
The Kupol study provides a unique platform to evaluate the association between different aspects of school and adolescent mental health.
Childhood is a critical developmental period in the brain's response to traumatic stress such as family adversity.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Adolescents who experience chronic pain have higher prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms in adulthood.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- The Current State of Autism: From Etiology to Treatment
- Augmentation Therapy for Treatment-Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
- Long-Term Cariprazine Safe, Tolerable for Schizophrenia
- Why Do Antipsychotics Cause Weight Gain?
- Is Aspirin Use Associated With a Decreased Incidence of Depressive Symptoms?
- emPATH Units as a Solution for ED Psychiatric Patient Boarding
- Antidepressants for Poststroke Depression: Comparative Efficacy and Acceptability
- New Model Shows High Accuracy in Predicting Response to Lithium
- Frequent Cannabis Use Associated With Increased Likelihood of MDD
- Protecting the Brain: The Damaging Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Juvenile Bipolar Disorder: Intranasal Ketamine Effective, Well-Tolerated
- When Patients Are Pathological Liars: Implications For for Psychiatrists
- PTSD and Fibromyalgia: Can Opioid Combination Therapy Improve QOL?
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Subsequent Suicidal Thoughts
- Cognitive Impairment in Adults With Depression Identified by THINC-it Screening Tool