Lack of medical coverage was cited as a reason adolescent and young adult cancer survivors avoid mental health treatment.
A significant gender effect was observed in the cohort, but the mechanism behind it remains unclear.
The decline was seen across all socioeconomic strata.
AAP treatment guidelines from 2011 appear to have contributed to the stabilization.
The report authors propose cyberbullying and social media use as possible theories, but at this point these remain speculative.
Sunovion have announced positive results from a study evaluating Latuda (lurasidone HCI) for the treatment of schizophrenia in adolescents aged 13 to 17 years old.
This finding may have implications for understanding associations between SSRIs and child development.
The mutation-positive cohort was more likely to have issues with disruptive behaviors, anger control, and inappropriate movements compared with the mutation-negative cohort.
Children and adolescents who had used antidepressants or who had a diagnosis of depression were more likely to have a higher BMI.
National Suicide Prevention Week, September 5 - 11, 2016
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Investigators developed a test [The Test of Playfulness (ToP)] in order to examine children's play skills in peer-to-peer play interactions.
So far, the clinical presentation of psychosis in childhood and adolescence has only been examined in a small number of studies which are limited by small sample sizes.
Researchers identified an inner-ear problem that might impair speech processing.
The Kupol study provides a unique platform to evaluate the association between different aspects of school and adolescent mental health.
Childhood is a critical developmental period in the brain's response to traumatic stress such as family adversity.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Adolescents who experience chronic pain have higher prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms in adulthood.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Progression of infant motor development is associated with cognitive ability in later childhood.
Identifying environmental factors that put teens at risk for suicidal behavior is crucial.
The city's water supply was poisoned with lead as a result of corrosion of leaded pipes.
Lead exposure is one of the most common preventable poisonings of childhood, and children are particularly sensitive to the effects of lead.
Children with ADHD may adapt more poorly to changing positive reinforcements compared with typically developing children.
A systematic review showed that most antidepressants are ineffective, and sometimes risky, for children and teens.
As early as first grade, obese children experience bullying.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Sport Psychiatry: An Emerging Specialty
- Clinical Hypnosis May Be Effective for Cancer Pain, IBS, Headaches
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Continues to Be Vital Treatment for Depression in Elderly
- Prolactin-Related Symptoms Decrease with Reduced Risperidone Dosage
- Psilocybin May Provide Swift Relief From Depression, Anxiety in Cancer Patients
- Physical Activity During Midlife Influences Late Life Verbal Memory Performance
- Children With ADHD May Adapt More Poorly To Changes In Positive Reinforcement Patterns
- "Drunkorexia" Linked To Both Eating and Substance Use Disorders
- Updated Depression Screening Recommendations for Adults
- ADHD Symptoms in Adulthood Vary Based on Work Environment
- SPECT Imaging Offers More Accurate Diagnosis of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Medical Students at High Risk for Depression, Suicidal Ideation
- Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients Demonstrate Higher Risk of Suicide
- Psychoeducation No More Effective Than Peer Support at Reducing Time to Next Bipolar Episode
- No Difference Between Omega-3 & Placebo in Patients at Ultrahigh Risk for Psychosis