Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
These results challenge existing conceptions that omega-3 fatty acids may be effective in treating adolescent major depressive disorder.
Youth with gender nonconformity are vulnerable to experiencing adversity.
Adolescents have an increased risk of suicide after nonfatal self-harm.
Researchers identified 9 trials examining the efficacy of SSRIs or SSNRIs in the treatment of social, generalized and/or separation anxiety disorder in pediatric patients.
Teen pregnancy is higher among sexual minorities due to maltreatment and bullying.
Investigators believe this is the most comprehensive analysis of epigenetic alterations due to victimization stress in a pediatric population.
Providing healthy eating and adequate nutrients to a baby during their first 1000 days is important for optimal neurodevelopment.
Researchers found a positive association between paternal and adolescent depressive symptoms.
Adolescents with depression do not have more densely connected networks.
Siblings with prenatal exposure to glucocorticoids were also compared with siblings with no exposure.
Multivitamin supplementation during pregnancy is tied to a reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability.
Type 2 diabetes is greater with second-generation antipsychotics than with non-second-generation antipsychotic psychotropic medications for patients aged 6 to 25 years.
Combination treatment may provide relief from the distinctive symptoms of severe, recurrent temper outbursts and persistent irritability.
Recent changes in our understanding of autism are driving advances in diagnosis, evidence-based treatment, and ultimately patient outcomes.
Siblings of children with disabilities may experience a "wide range of emotions.
Depression severity was inversely associated, prospectively, with body mass index (BMI), fat mass index, and lean BMI z scores.
Individual psychotherapy is a recommended treatment for anxiety in children and adolescents with migraine.
Mental health and behavioral screenings should be routine part of care for pediatric patients with diabetes.
Children with ASD do not benefit from the use of nutritional supplements or dietary therapies for children with ASD, according to researchers.
As a result of impaired coronary distensibility index, individuals with adverse childhood experience may have a greater risk for MACE.
Children with celiac disease are at a 1.4-fold increased risk for psychiatric disorders.
Planning for transitioning from pediatric care to adult care beings when the patients is a child or adolescent.
Cardiac safety is integral to child and adolescent antipsychotic therapy.
Childhood emotional abuse may directly lead to the development of migraine in young adults.
Incidence rate ratios were more increased for parental diagnoses of antisocial personality, cannabis use, and parental suicide attempt.
Children and teens who used stimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder had lower bone mineral content and bone density than nonusers.
National Suicide Prevention Week, September 5 - 11, 2016
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?