Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Incidence rate ratios were more increased for parental diagnoses of antisocial personality, cannabis use, and parental suicide attempt.
Children and teens who used stimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder had lower bone mineral content and bone density than nonusers.
National Suicide Prevention Week, September 5 - 11, 2016
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Investigators developed a test [The Test of Playfulness (ToP)] in order to examine children's play skills in peer-to-peer play interactions.
So far, the clinical presentation of psychosis in childhood and adolescence has only been examined in a small number of studies which are limited by small sample sizes.
Marijuana-laced candy and baked goods are attractive to children, increasing calls to poison centers.
Childhood is a critical developmental period in the brain's response to traumatic stress such as family adversity.
Genetic risk for psychosis influences reward processing in healthy adolescents.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Adolescents who experience chronic pain have higher prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms in adulthood.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Progression of infant motor development is associated with cognitive ability in later childhood.
Identifying environmental factors that put teens at risk for suicidal behavior is crucial.
The city's water supply was poisoned with lead as a result of corrosion of leaded pipes.
A pregnant woman can pass Zika virus to her fetus during pregnancy.
Lead exposure is one of the most common preventable poisonings of childhood, and children are particularly sensitive to the effects of lead.
High-resolution MRI revealed an association between less gray matter and the ability to pronounce and sound out unfamiliar words.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Addressing Common Nutritional Deficiencies in Autism
- Physical Activity During Midlife Influences Late Life Verbal Memory Performance
- Children With ADHD May Adapt More Poorly To Changes In Positive Reinforcement Patterns
- Functional Role of Adult-Born Neurons in Stress Vulnerability and Resilience
- "Drunkorexia" Linked To Both Eating and Substance Use Disorders
- Psychoeducation No More Effective Than Peer Support at Reducing Time to Next Bipolar Episode
- No Difference Between Omega-3 & Placebo in Patients at Ultrahigh Risk for Psychosis
- Smartphone Questionnaire Effective for Long-Term Monitoring of Mood Instability
- Prolactin-Related Symptoms Decrease with Reduced Risperidone Dosage
- Sport Psychiatry: An Emerging Specialty