Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Youth with gender nonconformity are vulnerable to experiencing adversity.
Adolescents have an increased risk of suicide after nonfatal self-harm.
Researchers identified 9 trials examining the efficacy of SSRIs or SSNRIs in the treatment of social, generalized and/or separation anxiety disorder in pediatric patients.
Teen pregnancy is higher among sexual minorities due to maltreatment and bullying.
Investigators believe this is the most comprehensive analysis of epigenetic alterations due to victimization stress in a pediatric population.
Providing healthy eating and adequate nutrients to a baby during their first 1000 days is important for optimal neurodevelopment.
Researchers found a positive association between paternal and adolescent depressive symptoms.
Adolescents with depression do not have more densely connected networks.
Siblings with prenatal exposure to glucocorticoids were also compared with siblings with no exposure.
Multivitamin supplementation during pregnancy is tied to a reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability.
Type 2 diabetes is greater with second-generation antipsychotics than with non-second-generation antipsychotic psychotropic medications for patients aged 6 to 25 years.
Combination treatment may provide relief from the distinctive symptoms of severe, recurrent temper outbursts and persistent irritability.
Recent changes in our understanding of autism are driving advances in diagnosis, evidence-based treatment, and ultimately patient outcomes.
Siblings of children with disabilities may experience a "wide range of emotions.
Depression severity was inversely associated, prospectively, with body mass index (BMI), fat mass index, and lean BMI z scores.
Individual psychotherapy is a recommended treatment for anxiety in children and adolescents with migraine.
Mental health and behavioral screenings should be routine part of care for pediatric patients with diabetes.
Children with ASD do not benefit from the use of nutritional supplements or dietary therapies for children with ASD, according to researchers.
As a result of impaired coronary distensibility index, individuals with adverse childhood experience may have a greater risk for MACE.
Children with celiac disease are at a 1.4-fold increased risk for psychiatric disorders.
Planning for transitioning from pediatric care to adult care beings when the patients is a child or adolescent.
Cardiac safety is integral to child and adolescent antipsychotic therapy.
Childhood emotional abuse may directly lead to the development of migraine in young adults.
Incidence rate ratios were more increased for parental diagnoses of antisocial personality, cannabis use, and parental suicide attempt.
Children and teens who used stimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder had lower bone mineral content and bone density than nonusers.
National Suicide Prevention Week, September 5 - 11, 2016
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- Phonemic Verbal Advantage in Mild Cognitive Impairment May Predict Risk for Alzheimer Disease
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Early Intervention Strategies for Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Dilemmas and Directions
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Psychiatric Comorbidities Increase Neurologic Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Self-Regulation Interventions Beneficial for Children
- Traumatic Brain Injury Associated With Increased Risk for Dementia
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- Depression and Sleep Disturbances: Common Bedfellows