Generic Name and Formulations:
Succimer 100mg; caps.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for CHEMET:
Lead poisoning in children with blood lead levels >45micrograms/dL.
May swallow caps whole or put contents onto a small amount of soft food or a spoon and swallow, followed by fruit drink. <12months: not recommended. ≥12months: initially 10mg/kg (or 350mg/m2) every 8 hours for 5 days, then reduce frequency to every 12 hours for 14 more days. Allow at least 14 days between courses unless blood lead levels indicate need for more prompt treatment. Treatment for more than 3 consecutive weeks: not recommended.
Monitor for rebound elevated lead levels by measuring blood levels at least once weekly. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor renal and hepatic function. Monitor for neutropenia; instruct patients to report any sign of infection or rash. Renal impairment. History of hepatic dysfunction. Find and remove source of lead from environment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Other concomitant chelation therapy (e.g., EDTA): not recommended. False (+) results with nitroprusside test (e.g., Ketostix).
GI upset, elevated serum transaminases, rash, pain, cramps, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, drowsiness, paresthesia; neutropenia, mucocutaneous vesicular eruptions (rare).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder