Generic Name and Formulations:
Dinoprostone 10mg; controlled-release vaginal insert w. retrieval system.
Indications for CERVIDIL:
Cervical ripening in patients at or near term when there is an indication for labor induction.
Fetal distress where delivery is not imminent. Unexplained vaginal bleeding. Presence or suspicion of cephalopelvic disproportion. Where oxytocics or prolonged uterine contractions are inappropriate, including previous cesarean section, major uterine surgery. Multipara with ≥6 previous term pregnancies. Concomitant oxytocics. Remove insert if uterine hyperstimulation, labor, sustained uterine contractions, or other fetal/maternal adverse reactions occur and prior to amniotomy.
For hospital use when appropriate obstetric care is present. Ruptured membranes. Non-vertex, non-singleton presentation. Previous uterine hypertony. Glaucoma. History of childhood asthma. Monitor uterine activity, fetal status, cervical dilatation/effacement. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Potentiates oxytocics; delay administration of oxytocics at least 30 minutes after removal of insert.
Uterine hyperstimulation, fetal distress.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling
- Nightmares in Military Personnel Frequently Comorbid With Mental Health Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Bipolar Disorder Treatment
- Negative Symptoms Increase Cardiovascular Risk in Schizophrenia