Generic Name and Formulations:
Daunorubicin HCl 20mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
Indications for CERUBIDINE:
In combination with other chemotherapy for remission induction in acute nonlymphocytic leukemia (myelogenous, monocytic, erythroid) of adults and for remission induction in acute lymphocytic leukemia of children and adults.
Give by IV infusion. Acute nonlymphocytic leukemia (in combination with cytosine arabinoside): <60yrs: 45mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3 of the first course and on days 1, 2 of subsequent courses; ≥60yrs: 30mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3 of the first course and on days 1, 2 of subsequent courses. Acute lymphocytic leukemia (in combination with vincristine, prednisone, L-asparaginase): 45mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3. Hepatic or renal impairment: reduce dose (see literature).
Give by IV infusion. <2yrs or BSA<0.5m2: use weight (mg/kg) to calculate dose. 25mg/m2 on day 1 every week (in combination with vincristine and prednisone).
Treat if any systemic infections 1st. Pre-existing drug-induced bone marrow suppression. Cardiovascular disease, thoracic irradiation, previous doxorubicin therapy (cumulative doses >550mg/m2): increased risk of cardiotoxicity. Monitor blood counts, cardiac, hepatic and renal function prior to each treatment. Renal or hepatic impairment. Hyperuricemia; monitor blood uric acid levels and give allopurinol prophylatically. Avoid extravasation. Children. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat. D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not use if previously received max cumulative doxorubicin dose; or if concomitant with cyclophosphamide: increased cardiotoxicity. Concomitant myelosuppressives: consider dose reduction. Increased risk of liver toxicity with hepatotoxic agents (eg, high-dose methotrexate).
Myelosuppression, cardiotoxicity, alopecia, rash, inj site reactions, GI upset, mucositis, abdominal pain, hyperuricemia; rare: anaphylaxis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy