Generic Name and Formulations:
Daunorubicin HCl 20mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
Indications for CERUBIDINE:
In combination with other chemotherapy for remission induction in acute nonlymphocytic leukemia (myelogenous, monocytic, erythroid) of adults and for remission induction in acute lymphocytic leukemia of children and adults.
Give by IV infusion. Acute nonlymphocytic leukemia (in combination with cytosine arabinoside): <60yrs: 45mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3 of the first course and on days 1, 2 of subsequent courses; ≥60yrs: 30mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3 of the first course and on days 1, 2 of subsequent courses. Acute lymphocytic leukemia (in combination with vincristine, prednisone, L-asparaginase): 45mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3. Hepatic or renal impairment: reduce dose (see literature).
Give by IV infusion. <2yrs or BSA<0.5m2: use weight (mg/kg) to calculate dose. 25mg/m2 on day 1 every week (in combination with vincristine and prednisone).
Treat if any systemic infections 1st. Pre-existing drug-induced bone marrow suppression. Cardiovascular disease, thoracic irradiation, previous doxorubicin therapy (cumulative doses >550mg/m2): increased risk of cardiotoxicity. Monitor blood counts, cardiac, hepatic and renal function prior to each treatment. Renal or hepatic impairment. Hyperuricemia; monitor blood uric acid levels and give allopurinol prophylatically. Avoid extravasation. Children. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat. D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not use if previously received max cumulative doxorubicin dose; or if concomitant with cyclophosphamide: increased cardiotoxicity. Concomitant myelosuppressives: consider dose reduction. Increased risk of liver toxicity with hepatotoxic agents (eg, high-dose methotrexate).
Myelosuppression, cardiotoxicity, alopecia, rash, inj site reactions, GI upset, mucositis, abdominal pain, hyperuricemia; rare: anaphylaxis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders