Generic Name and Formulations:
Methsuximide 150mg, 300mg; caps.
Indications for CELONTIN:
Absence (petit mal) seizures refractory to other drugs.
Adults and Children:
Individualize. Initially 300mg once daily for the 1st week; if needed, may increase at weekly intervals by 300mg/day for 3 weeks based on response; max 1.2g daily. May be administered with other anticonvulsants.
Perform blood counts periodically, esp. if signs/symptoms of infection develop. Hepatic or renal impairment. Monitor urine and liver function tests. Systemic lupus erythematosus. Suicidal ideation. Monitor for worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts and/or unusual changes in behavior. Change dose gradually. Avoid abrupt cessation. May increase frequency of grand mal seizures when used alone. Pregnancy.
May potentiate phenytoin, phenobarbital; monitor periodically.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, abdominal pain, constipation, blood dyscrasias, confusion, depression, drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria, hyperemia, proteinuria, hematuria, periorbital edema; rare: psychosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders