Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefuroxime (as axetil) 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Indications for CEFTIN:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, bronchitis, acute otitis media; uncomplicated skin and skin structure, UTIs, gonorrhea; early Lyme disease.
≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days. Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, skin and skin structure infections: 250–500mg twice daily for 10 days. Secondary bacterial infections of acute bronchitis: 250–500mg twice daily for 5–10 days. UTIs: 250mg twice daily for 7–10 days. Gonorrhea: 1g as a single dose. Lyme disease: 500mg twice daily for 20 days.
Swallow tab whole, or use susp. Otitis media, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days.
Tabs and susp not bioequivalent; do not interchange on a mg/mg basis. Penicillin or other allergy. History of colitis; discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Renal impairment. Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic dysfunction, stabilized on anticoagulant, poor nutritional state, or long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: consider discontinuing nursing during treatment.
May cause false (+) Fehling's or Benedict's soln, Clinitest, or Coomb's test. Antacids, others that decrease gastric acidity may inhibit absorption. Potentiated by probenecid. Caution with potent diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs.
GI disturbances, transient increase of AST, ALT, LDH, eosinophilia, bitter taste; convulsions (overdose).
Tabs—20, 60; Susp 125mg/5mL—100mL; Susp 250mg/5mL—50mL, 100mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders