Cefoxitin Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefoxitin sodium 1g, 2g; for IV inj; sodium content 2.3mEq/g.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefoxitin Injection:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia, lower respiratory or urinary tract, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, gynecologic, intraabdominal infections. Surgical prophylaxis.
Usually 1–2g every 6–8hrs. Uncomplicated: 1g every 6–8hrs. Moderately severe to severe: 1g every 4hrs or 2g every 6–8hrs. Max 2g every 4hrs or 3g every 6hrs. Prophylaxis: see literature.
<3months: not recommended. ≥3months: 80–160mg/kg per day in 4–6 equal divided doses; max 12g/day. Prophylaxis: see literature.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min), reduce dose: see literature. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Aminoglycosides may potentiate nephrotoxicity. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest. May interfere with creatinine tests.
Local reactions, rash, pruritus, drug fever, GI upset, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes.
Formerly known under the brand name Mefoxin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder