Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefotetan disodium 1g, 2g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 3.5mEq/g.
Indications for CEFOTAN:
Susceptible lower respiratory tract or urinary tract, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, gynecologic, intraabdominal infections. Surgical prophylaxis.
IV: inject over 3–5mins. UTI: 500mg IV or IM every 12hrs or 1–2g IV or IM every 12–24hrs. Mild to moderate skin and skin structures: 2g IV every 24hrs or 1g IV or IM every 12hrs. Severe skin and skin structure: 2g IV every 12hrs. Other sites: 1–2g IV or IM every 12hrs. Severe: 2g IV every 12hrs. Life threatening: 3g IV every 12hrs; max 6g/day. Prophylaxis: 1–2g IV once 30–60 mins before surgery. CrCl <30mL/min: reduce dose or frequency, see full labeling. Hemodialysis: give ¼ of the usual dose every 24hrs on days between dialysis and ½ the usual dose on dialysis days.
Previous cephalosporin-associated hemolytic anemia.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if allergic reaction occurs. Have epinephrine and other emergency measures available. Renal impairment. Renal or hepatobiliary dysfunction, poor nutritional state, cancer patients, or elderly: monitor prothrombin time. Monitor for hemolytic anemia or superinfection with prolonged use. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol for 72 hours after dosing. Increased nephrotoxicity with concomitant aminoglycoside; monitor renal function. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. May interfere with creatinine tests.
Diarrhea, nausea, rash, itching, local reactions, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes, fever; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder