Cefdinir for Oral Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefdinir 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; pwd for reconstitution; strawberry-cream flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefdinir for Oral Suspension:
Susceptible mild-to-moderate infections, including community-acquired pneumonia, acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections, acute otitis media.
Use caps. ≥13yrs: Pneumonia, skin and skin structure: 300mg every 12hrs for 10 days. Bronchitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 300mg every 12hrs for 5–10 days, or 600mg every 24hrs for 10 days. Sinusitis: 300mg every 12hrs, or 600mg every 24hrs, for 10 days. Renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min): 300mg once daily. Hemodialysis: 300mg (or 7mg/kg) at end of session then 300mg (or 7mg/kg) every other day.
Use susp. <6months: not recommended. 6months–12yrs: Otitis media, pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 7mg/kg every 12hrs for 5–10 days, or 14mg/kg every 24hrs for 10 days. Sinusitis: 7mg/kg every 12hrs, or 14mg/kg every 24hrs, for 10 days. Skin and skin structure: 7mg/kg every 12hrs for 10 days. For all: max 600mg/day; see literature for chart. Renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min per 1.73m2): 7mg/kg (max 300mg) once daily. Hemodialysis: give initial and subsequent doses at end of session (see literature).
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal insufficiency. History of colitis. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Antagonized by magnesium- or aluminum-containing antacids or iron supplements (except iron-fortified infant formulas): separate dosing by 2hrs. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Fehling's or Benedict's soln, or direct Coomb's test.
GI disturbances, abdominal pain, headache, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Omnicef.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age