Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefazolin (as sodium) 500mg/vial, 1g/vial; pwd for IM or IV inj or IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 48mg/g cefazolin.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefazolin:
Susceptible bacterial infections including septicemia, respiratory, biliary or GU tract, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, endocarditis. Surgical prophylaxis.
Pneumococcal pneumonia: 500mg every 12 hours. Mild infections: 250–500mg every 8 hours; moderate to severe infections: 500mg–1g every 6–8 hours. Severe, life-threatening infections (eg, endocarditis, septicemia): 1–1.5g every 6 hours; max 12g/day. UTIs: 1g every 12 hours. Prophylaxis: see literature. Renal impairment (give initial loading dose): (CrCl 35–54mL/min): reduce dosing frequency to at least 8 hour intervals; (CrCl 11–34mL/min): reduce dose by 50%, give every 12 hours; (CrCl <10mL/min): reduce dose by 50%, give every 18–24 hours. Peritoneal dialysis: see literature.
<1 month: not recommended. ≥1 month: Mild to moderately severe infections: 25–50mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses. Severe infections: max 100mg/kg per day. Renal impairment (give initial loading dose): (CrCl 40–70mL/min): reduce dose by 40%; give every 12 hours; (CrCl 20–40mL/min): reduce dose by 75%, give every 12 hours; (CrCl 5–20mL/min): reduce dose by 90%, give every 24 hours.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment: reduce dose. GI disease (esp. colitis). Monitor PT in patients at risk (eg, renal or hepatic impairment, poor nutritional state, long term use, or anticoagulant therapy). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's, or Fehling's soln.
GI upset, anaphylaxis, rash, pruritus, local reactions, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes.
Formerly known under the brand names Ancef, Kefzol.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder