Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefazolin (as sodium) 500mg/vial, 1g/vial; pwd for IM or IV inj or IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 48mg/g cefazolin.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefazolin:
Susceptible bacterial infections including septicemia, respiratory, biliary or GU tract, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, endocarditis. Surgical prophylaxis.
Pneumococcal pneumonia: 500mg every 12 hours. Mild infections: 250–500mg every 8 hours; moderate to severe infections: 500mg–1g every 6–8 hours. Severe, life-threatening infections (eg, endocarditis, septicemia): 1–1.5g every 6 hours; max 12g/day. UTIs: 1g every 12 hours. Prophylaxis: see literature. Renal impairment (give initial loading dose): (CrCl 35–54mL/min): reduce dosing frequency to at least 8 hour intervals; (CrCl 11–34mL/min): reduce dose by 50%, give every 12 hours; (CrCl <10mL/min): reduce dose by 50%, give every 18–24 hours. Peritoneal dialysis: see literature.
<1 month: not recommended. ≥1 month: Mild to moderately severe infections: 25–50mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses. Severe infections: max 100mg/kg per day. Renal impairment (give initial loading dose): (CrCl 40–70mL/min): reduce dose by 40%; give every 12 hours; (CrCl 20–40mL/min): reduce dose by 75%, give every 12 hours; (CrCl 5–20mL/min): reduce dose by 90%, give every 24 hours.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment: reduce dose. GI disease (esp. colitis). Monitor PT in patients at risk (eg, renal or hepatic impairment, poor nutritional state, long term use, or anticoagulant therapy). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's, or Fehling's soln.
GI upset, anaphylaxis, rash, pruritus, local reactions, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes.
Formerly known under the brand names Ancef, Kefzol.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders