Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefadroxil 500mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefadroxil:
Susceptible urinary tract, skin and skin structure infections, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo.
Uncomplicated UTI: 1–2g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Complicated UTI: 2g/day in 2 divided doses. Skin and skin structure infections: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction (CrCl <50mL/min): 1g loading dose, then 500mg at increased dosing intervals (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
UTI, skin and skin structure infections: 30mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses every 12 hours. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo: 30mg/kg once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Impaired renal function (CrCl <50mL/min). GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest or Coomb's test.
GI upset, anaphylaxis, rash; blood dyscrasias (rare).
Formerly known under the brand names Duricef, Ultracef.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder