Cefadroxil Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefadroxil 250mg/5mL, 500mg/5mL; orange-pineapple flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefadroxil Suspension:
Susceptible urinary tract, skin and skin structure infections, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo.
Uncomplicated UTI: 1–2g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Complicated UTI: 2g/day in 2 divided doses. Skin and skin structure infections: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction (CrCl <50mL/min): 1g loading dose, then 500mg at increased dosing intervals (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
UTI, skin and skin structure infections: 30mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses every 12 hours. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo: 30mg/kg once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Impaired renal function (CrCl <50mL/min). GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest or Coomb's test.
GI upset, anaphylaxis, rash; blood dyscrasias (rare).
Formerly known under the brand names Duricef, Ultracef.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers