Cefaclor Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefaclor 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL, 375mg/5mL; strawberry flavor.
Indications for Cefaclor Suspension:
Susceptible infections including otitis media, lower respiratory or urinary tract, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, skin and skin structure.
250–500mg every 8 hrs.
<1month: not recommended. ≥1month: 20mg/kg per day in 3 equally divided doses. Otitis media, more serious or less susceptible infections: 40mg/kg per day in 3 equally divided doses (may give in 2 divided doses for pharyngitis or otitis media); max 1g/day.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Severe renal dysfunction. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) Coomb's test or glucose test with Clinitest or Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. Monitor warfarin. ER: antagonized by concomitant (within 1 hr) aluminum or magnesium-containing antacids.
Headache, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, hepatic dysfunction, cough, CNS stimulation, serum-sickness-like reactions.
Formerly known under the brand names Ceclor CD (ext-rel tabs); Ceclor (caps, susp); Raniclor (caps).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder