Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil 5mcg, 10mcg, 20mcg, 40mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for intracavernous inj after reconstitution; contains benzyl alcohol.
Indications for CAVERJECT:
Treatment of erectile dysfunction. Adjunct to other diagnostic tests in the diagnosis of erectile dysfunction.
Inject into the dorso-lateral aspect of the proximal third of penis, avoid visible veins; rotate inj side and site. Determine optimum dose in office. If no response, may give 2nd dose after 1hr; if partial response occurs, wait 24hrs before next dose. Vasculogenic, psychogenic, or mixed etiology: initially 2.5mcg; if partial response, may give 2nd dose of 5mcg; may increase in increments of 5–10mcg until desired response. If no response to 1st dose, may give 2nd dose of 7.5mcg within 1hr; may increase in increments of 5–10mcg until desired response. Neurogenic etiology: initially 1.25mcg; may give 2nd dose of 2.5mcg, and 3rd dose of 5mcg; may increase in increments of 5mcg until desired response. Usual max: 60mcg and 3 inj/week; allow at least 24hrs between doses. Reduce dose if erection lasts over 1hr. Adjunct in diagnosis: see full labeling.
Not indicated; see Contraindications.
Predisposition to priapism. Anatomical penile deformation. Penile implants. Patients for whom sexual activity is inadvisable or contraindicated. Women. Children. Newborns.
Preexisting cardiovascular disease. Evaluate and treat underlying causes prior to initiating therapy. Treat priapism immediately. Patient must not adjust dose on own. Reevaluate every 3 months. Significant corpora cavernosa venous leakage. Monitor for signs of penile fibrosis. Discontinue if penile angulation, cavernosal fibrosis, or Peyronie's disease develops. Risk of needle breakage; use proper handling and injection techniques.
Concomitant vasoactive agents: not recommended. Caution with anticoagulants.
Penile pain, prolonged erection, priapism, penile fibrosis, inj site hematoma or ecchymosis, prostatic disorder, penile rash or edema, other local effects, upper respiratory infection, hypertension, headache, increased risk of blood-borne diseases, others.
Vials—6; Caverject Impulse 10mcg, 20mcg—2 (dual chamber syringe systems + supplies)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress