Generic Name and Formulations:
Clonidine 0.1mg/day, 0.2mg/day, 0.3mg/day; each transdermal patch delivers dose for 1 week.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for CATAPRES-TTS:
Apply to intact, hairless area of upper arm or anterior torso; rotate application sites. Taper withdrawal of other antihypertensives. Initially one 0.1mg/day patch weekly; may increase after 1–2 weeks; max 0.6mg/day.
Sinus node dysfunction. AV block. Pheochromocytoma: not effective. Conduction disturbances. Renal dysfunction. Avoid abrupt cessation. If local reaction occurs from patch, using tabs may cause generalized rash. Discontinue 4hrs before surgery; resume as soon as possible after surgery. Patch: remove before defibrillation, cardioversion, or MRI. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Potentiates CNS depressants. Orthostatic regulation disturbances (eg, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, fatigue) possible with neuroleptics. Monitor heart rate in patients receiving agents known to affect sinus node function or AV nodal conduction (eg, digitalis, calcium channel blockers, β-blockers).
Central alpha agonist.
Dry mouth, dry eye, drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, constipation, sedation, rash, myalgia, urticaria, nausea, insomnia, agitation, orthostatic hypotension, impotence, arrhythmias.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder