Generic Name and Formulations:
Levocarnitine 330mg; tabs.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for CARNITOR:
Primary systemic or secondary carnitine deficiency.
990mg 2–3 times daily.
Give in divided doses. Initially 50mg/kg per day; range 50–100mg/kg (max 3g) per day.
Obtain baseline carnitine level; monitor blood chemistry, carnitine levels, vital signs, clinical condition. Seizure disorders. Renal insufficiency (oral forms). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant warfarin: monitor INR.
GI upset/pain, body odor, seizures; inj: hypercalcemia, local reactions.
Tabs—90; Oral soln—4oz; Inj amps or vials (single-dose 5mL)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders