Generic Name and Formulations:
Levocarnitine 330mg; tabs.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for CARNITOR:
Primary systemic or secondary carnitine deficiency.
990mg 2–3 times daily.
Give in divided doses. Initially 50mg/kg per day; range 50–100mg/kg (max 3g) per day.
Obtain baseline carnitine level; monitor blood chemistry, carnitine levels, vital signs, clinical condition. Seizure disorders. Renal insufficiency (oral forms). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant warfarin: monitor INR.
GI upset/pain, body odor, seizures; inj: hypercalcemia, local reactions.
Tabs—90; Oral soln—4oz; Inj amps or vials (single-dose 5mL)—5
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder