CARNITOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levocarnitine 200mg/mL; soln for IV bolus inj or infusion; preservative-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for CARNITOR INJECTION:
Secondary carnitine deficiency. Carnitine deficiency in end stage renal disease (ESRD) patients undergoing dialysis.
Adults and Children:
Secondary carnitine deficiency: 50mg/kg IV as slow (2–3 minutes) bolus inj or by infusion; usual max 300mg/kg. May give loading dose in severe metabolic crisis: see literature. ESRD: initially 10–20mg/kg dry body weight as slow (2–3 minutes) IV bolus inj into venous return line after each dialysis session; adjust dose based on trough levocarnitine levels.
Obtain baseline carnitine level; monitor blood chemistry, carnitine levels, vital signs, clinical condition. Seizure disorders. Renal insufficiency (oral forms). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant warfarin: monitor INR.
GI upset/pain, body odor, seizures; inj: hypercalcemia, local reactions.
Tabs—90; Oral soln—4oz; Inj amps or vials (single-dose 5mL)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders