Generic Name and Formulations:
Carisoprodol 200mg, aspirin 325mg, codeine phosphate 16mg; tabs; contains sulfites.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Carisoprodol/Aspirin/Codeine:
Relief of painful musculoskeletal conditions.
1–2 tabs 4 times daily. May treat up to 2–3 weeks.
<16yrs: not established.
GI complication (eg, bleeding, perforation, obstruction) due to aspirin use. Aspirin-induced asthma. Carbamate sensitivity. NSAID allergy. Porphyria. Post-op pain management in children who have undergone tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy.
Risk of respiratory depression and death related to ultra-rapid metabolizers of codeine (esp. children in post-op tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy). Peptic ulcer. Gastritis. Acute abdominal conditions. Pancreatic or biliary duct disease. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. History of drug abuse. Asthma. COPD. Lung disease. Increased intracranial pressure. Dehydration. Use lowest effective dose for shortest duration. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Additive effects with alcohol, CNS depressants, oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics and plasma bound drugs (eg, methotrexate); use caution. Alcohol, NSAIDs, and oral anticoagulants increase risk of GI bleeding. May reduce antihypertensive effects with concomitant ACEIs, ARBs, beta-blockers, diuretics. Uricosurics antagonized. Urine alkalinizers or acidifiers decrease or increase, respectively, aspirin levels.
Muscle relaxant (central) + salicylate + opioid.
Dizziness, drowsiness, vertigo, ataxia, GI upset or bleeding, epigastric discomfort, tachycardia, orthostatic hypotension, facial flushing, rash, tinnitus; respiratory depression, hypotension.
Formerly known under the brand name Soma Compound w. Codeine.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder