CARDURA XL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxazosin (as mesylate) 4mg, 8mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for CARDURA XL:
Swallow whole. Take w. breakfast. Initially 4mg once daily; may titrate after 3–4 weeks to max 8mg/day. If therapy is stopped for several days, restart at 4mg once daily. Switching from Cardura to Cardura XL: initially 4mg once daily; do not take final evening dose of Cardura. Concomitant PDE-5 inhibitors: initiate at lowest dose.
Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Mild or moderate hepatic impairment. Syncope. Symptomatic hypotension. Exclude prostate cancer. Severe GI narrowing. Coronary insufficiency; discontinue if angina pectoris appears or worsen. Cataract surgery (intraoperative floppy iris syndrome possible). Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not indicated for females.
Caution with strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, atanazavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, ketoconazole, itraconazole, nefazodone, others). Additive hypotension with concomitant PDE-5 inhibitors.
Headache, dizziness, asthenia, hypotension, dyspnea, postural hypotension, somnolence, respiratory or urinary tract infections; rare: priapism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders