Generic Name and Formulations:
Diltiazem HCl 30mg, 60mg+, 90mg+, 120mg+; tabs; +scored.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for CARDIZEM:
Vasospastic and chronic stable angina.
Swallow whole. 30mg 4 times daily before meals and at bedtime. May increase gradually every 1–2 days; max 360mg/day in divided doses. Concomitant simvastatin: max 240mg/day.
Sick sinus syndrome, 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block unless paced. Hypotension. Acute MI and pulmonary congestion documented by X-ray on admission.
CHF. Renal or hepatic impairment (monitor). Discontinue if persistent rash occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant ivabradine, rifampin, alcohol: avoid. Caution with digoxin, β-blockers, others that may affect cardiac conduction (may lead to AV block). Monitor heart rate with concomitant clonidine. Potentiates propranolol, benzodiazepines, buspirone, cyclosporine, carbamazepine, quinidine, lovastatin, simvastatin (limit to max 10mg/day); monitor. Caution with CYP3A4 substrates, inhibitors (eg, cimetidine), or inducers. Anesthetics may potentiate cardiac depression.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (benzothiazepine).
Edema, headache, fatigue, dizziness, asthenia, 1st-degree AV block, bradycardia, rash (may be serious); rare: hypotension, liver abnormalities.
LA tabs—30, 90; CD 120mg, 180mg, 240mg, 300mg—30, 90; CD 360mg—90; Tabs 30mg—100, 500; 60mg, 90mg, 120mg—100
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV