CARDENE IV Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicardipine HCl 2.5mg/mL; soln for slow IV infusion (after dilution to 0.1mg/mL).
Chiesi USA, Inc.
Indications for CARDENE IV:
Short-term treatment of hypertension when oral therapy is not feasible or desirable.
Individualize; see full labeling.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Advanced aortic stenosis.
Cardiac failure. Angina. Acute cerebral infarction or hemorrhage. Hepatic or renal impairment. Pheochromocytoma. For caps: measure blood pressure (BP) 1–2 hrs and 8 hrs after dosing. For IV: monitor BP before and during infusion; avoid rapid or excessive reductions; switch to oral form when possible. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by cimetidine. Increases serum levels of cyclosporine, tacrolimus; monitor and adjust its dose. Possibly potentiates digoxin; monitor.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Increased angina, flushing (caps), headache, pedal edema, asthenia, dizziness, somnolence (caps), tachycardia, GI upset, sweating; ECG abnormalities, orthostatic hypotension, ventricular extrasystoles, local reactions (inj).
Caps 20mg, 30mg—contact supplier; IV (10mL amps)—10; Premixed—200mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders