Carbidopa/Levodopa Orally Disintegrating Tabs Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Carbidopa, levodopa; 10mg/100mg, 25mg/100mg, 25mg/250mg; orally-disintegrating tabs; mint flavor; contains phenylalanine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Carbidopa/Levodopa Orally Disintegrating Tabs:
Discontinue levodopa at least 12 hrs before starting carbidopa/levodopa. Dissolve tabs on tongue. ≥18yrs: initially one 25/100 tab 3 times daily, or one 10/100 tab 3–4 times daily; increase every 1–2 days up to either 2 tabs of 25/100 or 2 tabs of 10/100 4 times daily. Patients taking levodopa >1500mg/day: initially one 25/250 tab 3–4 times daily; usual max carbidopa 200mg/day.
<18yrs: not recommended.
During or within 14 days of nonselective MAOIs. Narrow-angle glaucoma. Undiagnosed skin lesions. History of melanoma.
Severe cardiovascular or pulmonary disease. Asthma. Renal, hepatic, or endocrine disorders. History of peptic ulcer or MI with residual arrhythmias. Suicidal tendencies. Psychosis. Orthostatic hypotension. Chronic wide-angle glaucoma. Monitor renal, hepatic and cardiovascular function, intraocular pressure, blood counts. May stain body fluids. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Antagonized by phenothiazines, butyrophenones, risperidone, phenytoin, papaverine, isoniazid; possibly iron, high protein diets, excessive gastric acidity. Orthostatic hypotension with selegiline, antihypertensives. May be affected by metoclopramide. Hypertension, dyskinesia with tricyclics. May cause false (+) urinary ketone or Coombs test or false (–) urinary glucose (glucose oxidase) test.
Dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor + dopamine precursor.
Dyskinesias, GI upset, CNS disturbances (eg, hallucinations, confusion, depression, dizziness, headache, insomnia, somnolence), syncope, hypo- or hypertension, dyspnea, on-off phenomena, blepharospasm (may indicate excess dose), urine discoloration, lab abnormalities; rare: neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
Formerly known under the brand name Parcopa.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?