Generic Name and Formulations:
Captopril, hydrochlorothiazide; 25mg/15mg, 25mg/25mg, 50mg/15mg, 50mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Captopril/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Take 1 hr before meals. As initial therapy: one 25/15 tab daily; adjust at 6 wk intervals. Previously titrated: use same doses as individual components. Usual max 150mg captopril, 50mg hydrochlorothiazide daily.
See full labeling.
Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. History of ACEI-associated angioedema.
Fetal toxicity may develop: discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Salt/volume depletion. CHF. Dialysis (esp. high-flux membrane). Aortic stenosis. Diabetes. Gout. Asthma. Postsympathectomy. Surgery. Monitor electrolytes. Monitor WBCs and renal function in renal and collagen vascular disease. Discontinue if neutropenia, agranulocytosis, angioedema or laryngeal edema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D in 2nd and 3rd trimesters). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by antihypertensives. Potentiates tubocurarine. May antagonize sulfonylureas, oral anticoagulants, uricosurics. May be antagonized by NSAIDs, sympathomimetics. May increase digitalis, lithium, insulin, diazoxide toxicity. Hyperkalemia with potassium-sparing diuretics and supplements. Hypokalemia with ACTH, corticosteroids. Orthostatic hypotension may be increased by alcohol, CNS depressants. May interfere with parathyroid, urinary acetone tests.
ACE inhibitor + diuretic.
Neutropenia, agranulocytosis, proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, orthostatic hypotension, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, rash, GI upset, dysgeusia, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, dizziness, headache, cough, pruritus, angioedema, tachycardia, chest pain, jaundice, blurred vision.
Formerly known under the brand name Capozide.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?