Generic Name and Formulations:
Capreomycin (as sulfate) 1g/vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution, or IM inj after reconstitution.
Indications for CAPASTAT:
Adjunct in susceptible tuberculosis when first-line agents (INH, rifampin, ethambutol, aminosalicylic acid, streptomycin) are inappropriate.
Give by IV infusion over 1 hour or deep IM inj. 1g (max 20mg/kg) daily for 60–120 days, then 1g (max 20mg/kg) 2–3 times per week; max 20mg/kg per day. Treat for 12–24 months. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose (see full labeling).
Use with extreme caution in patients with renal insufficiency or preexisting auditory impairment. Usage in pregnancy or pediatric.
Renal or auditory impairment. Monitor vestibular and auditory function at baseline and during therapy. Monitor renal function at baseline and during therapy; reduce dose or discontinue if BUN>30mg/dL or if renal function decreases. Monitor hepatic function and serum potassium. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C; teratogenic; see full labeling). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant streptomycin, other parenteral antituberculars: not recommended. Increased toxicity with other neuro/ototoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides).
Neurotoxicity (esp. ototoxicity), renal toxicity, leukocytosis, leukopenia, abnormal liver function tests, inj site reactions (eg, pain, induration, bleeding), rash.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children