Generic Name and Formulations:
Mepenzolate bromide 25mg; tabs; contains tartrazine.
Indications for CANTIL:
Adjunct in peptic ulcer.
Use lowest effective dose. 1–2 tabs 4 times a day with meals and at bedtime.
Glaucoma. GU or GI obstruction (eg, pyloroduodenal stenosis, achalasia). Paralytic ileus. Intestinal atony of the elderly or debilitated. Unstable cardiovascular status in acute GI hemorrhage. Toxic megacolon. Complicated ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis.
Autonomic neuropathy. Hepatic or renal disease. Ulcerative colitis. Hiatal hernia with reflux esophagitis. Coronary heart disease. CHF. Cardiac arrhythmias. Tachycardia. Hypertension. Prostatic hypertrophy. Hyperthyroidism. High environmental temperature. Aspirin sensitivity. Delayed gastric emptying time. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Additive anticholinergic effects with amantadine, class I antiarrhythmics (eg, quinidine), antihistamines, phenothiazines, benzodiazepines, MAOIs, narcotic analgesics (eg, meperidine), nitrates, nitrites, sympathomimetic agents, tricyclics, and other anticholinergics. Antagonizes antiglaucoma agents. May antagonize metoclopramide. May affect absorption of digoxin. Antacids may inhibit absorption; avoid.
Nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth, mental confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, urticaria, tachycardia, urinary retention or hesitancy, decreased sweating, insomnia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses