Generic Name and Formulations:
Mepenzolate bromide 25mg; tabs; contains tartrazine.
Indications for CANTIL:
Adjunct in peptic ulcer.
Use lowest effective dose. 1–2 tabs 4 times a day with meals and at bedtime.
Glaucoma. GU or GI obstruction (eg, pyloroduodenal stenosis, achalasia). Paralytic ileus. Intestinal atony of the elderly or debilitated. Unstable cardiovascular status in acute GI hemorrhage. Toxic megacolon. Complicated ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis.
Autonomic neuropathy. Hepatic or renal disease. Ulcerative colitis. Hiatal hernia with reflux esophagitis. Coronary heart disease. CHF. Cardiac arrhythmias. Tachycardia. Hypertension. Prostatic hypertrophy. Hyperthyroidism. High environmental temperature. Aspirin sensitivity. Delayed gastric emptying time. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Additive anticholinergic effects with amantadine, class I antiarrhythmics (eg, quinidine), antihistamines, phenothiazines, benzodiazepines, MAOIs, narcotic analgesics (eg, meperidine), nitrates, nitrites, sympathomimetic agents, tricyclics, and other anticholinergics. Antagonizes antiglaucoma agents. May antagonize metoclopramide. May affect absorption of digoxin. Antacids may inhibit absorption; avoid.
Nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth, mental confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, urticaria, tachycardia, urinary retention or hesitancy, decreased sweating, insomnia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders