These data may be helpful in titrating care for those with schizotypal disorder and comorbid substance abuse disorders to mitigate the risk for conversion to schizophrenia.
Mortality rates decreased for alcohol use disorders, self-harm, and interpersonal violence between 1980 and 2014. Mortality rates for drug use disorders increased both nationally and in each county over the same period.
The investigators found that antisocial (β=0.23) and borderline (β=0.20) personality disorders were strongly associated with cannabis use as well as with cannabis use disorder.
The findings of these analyses suggest that, to an extent, this relationship might be generalized to cannabis users as a whole, not just those diagnosed with a cannabis use disorder.
Online marijuana searches grew by 98 percent as a proportion of all searches from 2005 to 2017.
Researchers calculated age-standardized mortality rates on a county level in the United States between 1980 and 2014, specifically examining rates for self-harm, interpersonal violence, alcohol use, and drug use.
Both early-onset cannabis users and late-onset cannabis users had an increased risk for psychotic experiences at age 18.
Frequent cannabis use was associated with subsequent hypomania.
Cannabis use disorder is also rising faster in states that have legalized marjiuana.
The crystal structure may provide inspiration for designing drugs that refine efficacy and avoid adverse events.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive chemical ingredient in cannabis.
One minute of exposure impaired endothelial function in rats for at least 90 minutes.
Marijuana-laced candy and baked goods are attractive to children, increasing calls to poison centers.
The increased use of synthetic cannabinoids presents a serious public health threat.
Alterations in reward processing may increase users' risk of continued drug use and subsequent addiction.
Chronic and severe cannabis-dependence is associated with deficits in striatal dopamine release.
Marijuana use is associated with development of various neuropsychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia, anxiety, and depression.
Cannabis use disorder (CUD) is currently the most widely reported illegal substance use disorder.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
Prolonged cannabis use is a risk factor for periodontal disease.
The increased use of synthetic cannabinoids presents a public health threat.
Study links heavy cannabis use in male teens to increased mortality by age 60.
Genome-wide association identified 3 independent regions with single nucleotide polymorphisms.
Questions remain as to whether botanically-derived marijuana offers clinical benefit over pharmaceutical-grade THC, its active ingredient.
Visits to the emergency department for out-of-state individuals increased following legalization of cannabis in Colorado.
Healthy participants with a variation in the AKT1 gene were at higher risk of acute psychotic response to cannabis.
Smoking pot, however, is significantly associated with any substance use, alcohol use, drug use disorders.
Users whose cumulative marijuana use exceeded the equivalent of one joint a day for five years had a significant decline in verbal memory in middle age.
Found more likely to smoke, drink, and use illegal drugs and steroids.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism